May 20, 2008

A recap of Avery's past few days......

Here's our smiley girl before all the drama of the last few days.

Last week Avery had her first "non scheduled" visit to the pediatrician. She woke up one morning with what appeared to be a fever blister on her bottom lip. Being a paranoid first time mom I called the pedi's nurse and asked if kids her age usually got these. I was told that usually when 1 year olds got a fever blister it was in conjunction with some big illness or virus going through their system. Avery did not act like she had been feeling bad and she had not been running a fever. We went in and Dr B. checked her out and confirmed that yes, that is a fever blister developing. I have been trying to treat it with the prescribed cream these last few days but do not know how effective it has been. Have you ever tried to put cream on an active 1 year olds lip?? She will immediately lick it off or pull her bottom lip in to scrape it off with her teeth. Oh, the joys of motherhood!!!!

She is also in the process of cutting 3 new teeth simultaneously!!! 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top. Needless to say with the fever blister and the teeth she has not been feeling too well the last couple of days.

Here she is chilling out with her daddy watching the only TV show that holds her attention: Wonder Pets

We did go out to eat at the local Cracker Barrel and couldn't help but do a little shopping while we were there.
If you're gonna be a Texan, you have to wear a cowboy hat, right?

Is this hat supposed to be on straight??

Monday morning she had another appointment for her first immunizations as well as blood draw. This did not go well!! She wound up getting 3 different shots for immunizations plus after they tried to draw the blood out of her left arm the vein collapsed so they had to stick her again in the right arm to get enough blood to run tests. She was definitely not a "happy camper".

Here she is in the doctor's office not even remotely aware what is about to happen.

Hey, who are all these people and while are they bringing in all that stuff?

Showing off her dual purple bandaids from the blood draws.

Needless to say between the fever blister, the 3 new teeth, the immunizations, the blood draw and just being a typical 1 year old, she has been very clingy lately. She wants mommy to hold her constantly and will only go to daddy or anyone else if mommy is nowhere in sight. This makes for one very tired mommy!! I can't stand that she feels crappy but don't know what else to do to make her feel better. I am sure this is just the first of many times I will feel inadequate.

One of my biggest guilty pleasures has always been to grab a good book and soak in the bathtub for hours. This has definitely not happened since Avery came home however I am happy to report that my daughter also loves her bath. This is the one place she will play independently for a stretch of time and seem perfectly content. The next picture depicts our compromise after the last couple of days of constant holding.

Avery content in the bathtub and me with my book!! She's happy, I'm happy and my arms are getting a rest!!!

And last but certainly not least while downloading pictures tonight I found this self-portrait on my camera
Love ya babe, but I do think that goatee is getting a little grayer!!

So that's our week so far, Avery seemed like she felt a little better today so hopefully we are on the right track.

Thanks for checking in with us!!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Wonder Pets, Wonder Pets we're on our way......ha ha ha ha! I know exactly what you are talking about. My Avery is a Dora freak. Everything is Bapa, Bapa (Backpack, Backpack)

Poor Avery..what a rough week! Hope she starts feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

LOL at the compromise of Avery in the tub and Mom enjoying her book. I'm upset that I didn't think of doing that with my own kids. :)

I hope that little cutie is feeling better soon!

~M

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers