March 9, 2009

What we've been up to......

This past weekend was a whirlwind for us. We started on Thursday with Sandra's birthday dinner (see previous post) and then on Friday we left town to attend Mekenzie's dance competition. When we arrived at our hotel Friday night we got settled and anticipated a night of just chilling out. That quickly changed when we had not 1, not 2, but 3 teenage girls giggling in our room. Avery was in heaven running around with all the girls. Kiesha and I joined in all the fun and giggling and boy talk and Paul just rolled his eyes and laughed at all of us. Yes, folks this is what memories are made of......

Saturday Mekenzie's dance time changed so that she didn't have to be ready until late afternoon so we had several hours to kill. We did what we always do when we are together and in an unfamiliar place......we found a mall!! Keisha, Paul, Avery, and I walked every inch of that mall and shopped our little hearts out. We even had a "celebrity sighting". I came out of the dressing room in one store and saw someone I thought looked familiar. After a few minutes it came to me: it was Michelle, last season's winner from The Biggest Loser. I didn't go all stalkerish and take her picture of approach her or anything but let me tell you she looks good! After our little shopping expedition we headed back to the hotel to get ready for competition.

We watched Mekenzie dance once on Saturday and then 3 times on Sunday. She walked away with 1st place on her solo and second place on her duet, trios, and small group. Way to go girl!!!

We didn't arrive home until bedtime Sunday night and by that time we were exhausted!! Monday it was back to the work week!

Tonight was the season premier of Dancing with the Stars. I can't help but think back to when the season started last March. It was the eve of the night we left for China. I remember that Monday night like it was yesterday. We tried to go to bed early since we were getting up to go to the airport in the wee hours. I couldn't sleep and since I had set the DVR I got out of bed at 11pm and watched the premier knowing that these were the last hours I would spend in my house before our daughter came home. I can't believe we are quickly approaching that one year anniversary. Some days it seems as if Avery has been with us forever and some days it seems like only yesterday that we were packing up getting ready to make a trip of a lifetime.

I have been reflecting alot lately on the last year of our lives....there have been both ups and downs and more changes than we could have ever imagined. Paul and I have both felt totally inadequate at times but just looking at our little girl's smile makes us think we must be doing something right.

I know this is a rambling post but since I use this blog for my journal I like knowing that there is a record of the activities and thoughts of our daily lives. It is fun to go back through the archives and look at we were in our lives at a particular time.

Hope you all have a wonderful week!!

Happy Monday!!!

No comments:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers