March 26, 2006

What a weekend...........

We had an action packed weekend. Friday we went to Paul's grandparents house in a small community in Oklahoma. The community in which Paul's parents and grandparents live was hosting a "community garage sale". A couple of month's ago they asked us if we would be interested in participating to help raise some adoption funds. We cleaned out closets and drawers and called upon family and friends to do the same. Everyone donated their items to us for our "Avery fund". Well, the sale was originally scheduled for last Saturday, we went and set up and did pretty good but because of horrendous rain the community decided to try it again this weekend. So back to Oklahoma we went. We we first started out talking about the sale I told Paul "I'll be happy if we make a couple hundred bucks, just something to go towards our airfare for China". My dream goal was $500 (half of a ticket) but because it is such a small community I thought that would be impossible. Well the shoppers came, and came, and came. With the 2 Saturdays combined we were able to make a total of $1112. We were speechless to say the least!!!! That's one entire plane ticket to go get our girl..The funniest thing about raising that much money is that the most expensive item we had was a 13" color tv for $25. It's just goes to prove that $5 here and $5 there can really add up.

Paul and I were literally dancing on air when we left the sale Saturday afternoon. We then had an awards banquet to attend for my best friends daughter. She is involved in a competive cheerleading team. Paul and I have attended every competition this season and people often ask us "now which one is your daughter?" It took almost the entire season for people to realize that we did not have a child on the team. While Morgan is like a daughter to us, we are "technically" not related. You see, Paul and I are a married couple with no kids and our friend is a single mom with two amazing girls, so together the 5 of us are a modern day blended "family". Anyway, back to the banquet, as they were giving out awards the gym owner stated "this next award is special, this is for our loudest fan: you might not know her and you might not have seen her, but I guarantee you have HEARD her. Come on up here Robyn, you're our Fan of the Year" I could not believe it!!! For this honor I was presented with a metal trash can(complete with neck strap) and wooden spoon. Let me explain: at the beginning of the season I was trying to come up with some kind of noisemaker to use at the competitions. I tried a cow bell but I shook it so hard the ringer flew out, then I tried wooded blocks but I came too close to smashing my fingers so those were out too. By competition #3 I had the perfect noisemaker, I took an old frying pan and a wooden spoon and banged to my hearts content. Believe me I got some very weird looks but I did not care. From that moment on I was the "pan lady". I guess the small metal trashcan was the next step up. When the next competition comes along I will wear my can and bang it with pride.

Sunday was a day of catching up around the house, laundry, and packing up leftover sale stuff. Overall it was a great weekend: plane ticket money, an award complete with a new noisemaker, and 3 days closer to our daughter, what more can you ask for?

Hope your weekend was fabulous too......

2 comments:

Erin said...

What an amazing weekend you had! We are having a garage sale in a month and I hope we are half as fortunate as you. Many hugs, can lady! Erin

Kelley said...

Wow! I was pretty excited with the $100 that I made at our community garage sale last weekend. New pajamas for E and new pillows for the guest room blew that little windfall pretty quickly! I am so very surprised by the description that you gave of your energetic behavior at the cheerleading competitions. I never knew that you were so outgoing!?! ;-)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers