June 10, 2006

A lazy Saturday.....

We came home from Paul's grandparents around midnight last night, so we slept in this morning. Yesterday afternoon we were able to finish Avery's "leftover" quilt. I think it turned out fabulous.


Sandra, Kay, me, and Grammy posing with the newest quilt. Let me give you some history about this quilt. When I was collecting quilt squares from friends and family one of my co-workers gave me the center block. Her great grand-mother had hand sewn several of these blocks while participating in a "quilting bee" after immigrating to the US from Germany. When Amy presented me with this block I was truly grateful, and awed to have this type of heirloom. When my mom and I picked a pattern for the 100 Good Wishes Quilt I just could not justify cutting this special block to fit into the quilt. Thus became the concept for the "left over" quilt. We used Amy's block for the centerpiece and then fabric we had left for the blocks around it. Grammy was so creative in fashioning a flower pot for our tulip centerpiece. Avery will be lucky enough to have the heirlooms and history from several generations as well as some wonderful quilts.

Today has been spent being lazy, lounging around the house doing the occasional chore. Hopefully tonight I will settle in and watch a movie and relax before going back to work tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend.

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Avery's "leftover" quilt is adorable. I can just see her snuggled up under that quilt to watch a movie. :-)

Valerie said...

I haven't even started the main quilt and you already have a spare...there is a lot of pressure to keep up!

Elle said...

Love lazy Saturdays! A leftover quilt is a great idea!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers