August 4, 2007

Another day, another drama!!

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. That is mom sprawled out on the couch with a broken leg!! Yesterday she was walking down some steps, missed the last one, and proceeded to go splat!! She managed to drive herself home but by the time she got there she knew that something was "not right". We took her to the ER where it was found that she broken one of the bones in her lower leg. They splinted her, doped her, and sent her home. She has to follow up with the orthopedic surgeon early next week for the next course of treatment.

For those of you that do not know my mom personally. She is a go-getter, never sitting still for long. Whether it is baking cakes, sewing, tending to her plants, cleaning house, cooking every night, or any of the other multitude of things she does time spent just sitting on the sofa relaxing is sparse. Needless to say she is not very thrilled with the prospect of being laid up for the next several weeks.

Prime example: I went over there this morning to check on her and see how she slept last night. I had no more cleared the door before she informed me that she needed to shower, needed laundry started, and needed to get moving because she was already bored. Bored??? It hasn't even been 24 hours yet!!! So being the wonderful daughter I am I helped her shower, started her laundry, and picked up a few things. Dad had stepped out to run some errands and get some lunch. I told mom I was going to Wal-Mart this afternoon and if she would make me a list I would pick up anything she needed. Well, not one to be kept down she informed me that she would accompany me because she needed to get her hair trimmed and her toes painted!! So off we went: drove to Wal-mart (yes, on freakin' Saturday afternoon), loaded her up in one of those electric carts, went to the hair place and got a trim, went to the nail place and go her toes done and then proceeded to get the grocery items that both of us needed. I delivered her back home and I tell you she could have kept going for many hours more.

It will be very interesting to see how the next few weeks go!!

As you may or may not know, when I was 21 I was involved in a very serious car accident, broke both my legs, and was unable to walk for a year. During that time Paul, my mom, and my dad were my legs and my caretakers. So I guess we could all say this is my payback!!!

LOVE YOU MOM!!!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Robyn for all you did for me yesterday and today. I do love you too !!!!!

Momma Martha

Valerie said...

I am so sorry for Mama Martha and her incident on the steps. She is so lucky to be surrounded by such loving, devoted and supportive family - especially a daughter such as you!

I haven't had my toes painted since my wedding; that is an inspiration.

I haven't been able to shope at Wal-Mart in a month due to Lil Dude; and she was out and getting it done - SIGH!

Unknown said...

Hope its an quick recovery. She does sound like a go getter!! Glad you are there to help

Christie said...

MY POOR MAMA MARTHA!!! She is such a go-getter! I love this post and I have to say, this also speaks to your character, because it is totally who you are to take her shopping and help her to get all that done!

Love you!!

Kelley said...

You and Momma Martha are two peas in a pod and I adore you both! I know how hard it is to be laid up and to have to rely on others to take care of you and your house...it's maddening! But, please remind her that she needs to take care of HERSELF because she is going to need two good legs to climb the Great Wall of China sooooon!

Stacey said...

No fun! I so sorry for your drama and your momma! Hope she heals real soon.

Anonymous said...

Did anybody get a picture of Martha rolling down the steps?...just kidding, you know I love my big sister, but if she can't make it down the court house steps in one piece are you sure she can tackle the Great Wall? Take good care of her, Robyn, I don't know what we would do without her to organize our hinies.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I am catching up on your blog and what a post to start off with. I hope your sweet mother heals quickly. What a wonderful daughter she has.

Thanks for your note and update.

B&G

Anonymous said...

Granda Ma:

I was sitting drinking a coke and my mind began to wonder:

I looked at the sky so blue:
I aksed myself

Will I grow up to be as graceful as you:

Kelby

Erin said...

Oh my goodness, Kelby, you are a scream! I just know she bopped your head for that one. Love ya Momma Martha!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers