September 10, 2008

Old friends become new again......

There is someone that has been a big part of my life that has never been mentioned on this blog.

Kiesha and I were best friends all during high school and beyond. We share a huge history and I can't think back to my teenage years without drumming up great memories made with her. We went through many of life's major milestones together: high school graduation, college, marriage, children. I was present when both her daughters were born and she was by my side while Paul and I went through years of infertility and treatment. She spent many nights consoling me when the latest round of whatever we were trying at the time proved unsuccessful.

After we had been as close as sisters for about 15 years Kiesha began to make some life choices that I did not particularly agree with. I tried to dissuade her, help her, steer her in the right direction, and be a good friend. Eventually I had to do something that completely broke my heart. I had cut my ties with Kiesha. It was a very hard time for me and I mourned the loss of my friend. At this point there was nothing else that I could do to help her and rather than stand by and watch her destroy her life (and possibly mine in the process) I had to make this choice. It was very hard for me to accept that you can't help those that don't want help. It has been over 4 years since I had a relationship with her. I did keep up with her and continue to pray for her during this time. I would see her family around town and they would let me know how she was doing.

About two months ago, out of the blue, Kiesha called me. She wanted to apologize for everything that had happened and wanted me to know that she now had her life in order and would really like for us to be friends again. I know that this was a huge step for her!! It took a huge amount of courage to take that first step to mend our friendship.

Kiesha was not aware of our adoption plans or any of the process. As we were talking on the phone Avery started to babble in the background and Kiesha immediately asked “Who is that I hear?” Needless to say she was shocked when I told her it was my daughter. Of course that immediately prompted 100 questions. Keisha and her oldest daughter immediately came over to meet Avery. Since that fateful afternoon we have both been working on mending our broken friendship. It really is amazing how we could come together again and pick up like we never left off.

That is why now you will be seeing her pop up in my blog. She is an amazing woman that has shown tremendous courage in getting her life back together.

Kiesha – you know I love you girl!! I am so proud of you for all that you have accomplished these last 2 years. You may have made some poor choices but you overcame them and really got your life back on track. I admire the strength it took to make those changes and will be by your side as you continue this course. Mekenzie and Mekarlie mean the world to Paul and me and we are so thankful that we have the 3 of you back in our lives. Avery is also one very lucky girl to add another “Auntie” to her life.

Ironically enough it was 20 years ago this month that our friendship began and I can only hope and wish that it will continue for another 20!!


Kiesha with her youngest daughter, Mekarlie

So the morale of this story is: never give up on a friend, relationships may change but the history you share will never be forgotten.

2 comments:

Eloise said...

You are such a wonderful friend, Robyn. I can tell that the decision you made four years ago, heart-wrenching as it was at the time, was the best for everyone in the long run. Clearly Keisha respects you for setting boundaries and holding her to a higher standard, and your love for her shone through enough for her to call you when she got her act together again. I see why you are such a valued and cherished friend.

PS Enjoyed catching up on that cute Miss Avery. Loved the pictures of her at the lake!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this post really touched me. Your strong faith and belief in people and a forgiving and accepting heart are what make you so wonderful.


Cheers to friends old, new and renewed.

Love V

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers