June 13, 2008

My week in review:

I have been MIA this week (again!) but this time I have a very good reason. The pics below outline our week in review.

For the past couple of weeks I have been feeling VERY run-down. I have had absolutely no energy to do anything. It became worse last weekend when I started to get dizzy and lightheaded whenever I stood up and could not even walk down our hallway without stopping to rest. I finally "bit the bullet" and called the doctor Monday morning. Paul and I went in told her my symptoms and were just not satisfied with her plan of care. Being a nurse I knew something was just not right and my doctor's instructions of fluids and rest until lab results came back just didn't cut it for us. So we dropped Avery off at my mom's and headed to the ER. We thought at least in the ER you get lab results immediately and they can test for everything.

MONDAY:

Monday we spent 8.5 hours in the ER. When I checked in they took me straight back to a room because I had some symptoms that indicated I might be in some type of cardiac distress. After drawing blood, getting an EKG, CT scan of my chest, and chest Xray it was determined that I was severely dehydrated, had pneumonia in both lungs, and my blood counts were mysteriously low. It was decided I would be admitted for what I thought was ONE night for IV re hydration and IV antibiotics and a watch of my blood counts.

TUESDAY:
Some of the blood results came back even more abnormal so I had to have some electrolyte replacement. Needless to say I was not going home today!

WEDNESDAY:
I was now pretty re hydrated so we were able to get a true blood level (when you are dehydrated your blood is concentrated so sometimes the results aren't totally accurate) and it was not pretty. Since they could not identify any active bleeding this meant another CT scan, this time of my abdomen followed up with a transfusion of 2 units of blood because by this time I was critically low.

THURSDAY:
Well now I am well re hydrated, my blood levels are climbing and the CTs were all negative for any abdominal bleeding. So the smile on my face is indicative that I am going home!!!! So much for my ONE night stay!!

I had quite a few visitors (not to mention a ton of nurse's from my department since I work in that hospital) and of course "my posse" all kept my spirits up with their visits, calls, and emails.

Erin and Kelley stopped by one night on the way to dinner and brought me a juicy new novel I had been wanting as well as some gossip mags. Christie called me everyday and wanted to come but I convinced her not to since Quint had just gotten over being sick and who knew what I was carrying around, and then there's Val......my crazy friend Val, who not only came by but also spent countless hours "googling" my symptoms so she could help the docs diagnose me. Thanks girls ya'll are the best!!!!

Even though I felt like a big load of crap we did manage to have a few laughs in between to pass the slow moving time in the hospital:

Valerie, Gary, and Aubriana came and leave it to Val to provide entertainment!!!!

Paul and Avery found that staring outside passed the time a little!!

I think Avery was more intrigued by her own reflection in the window than worrying about mommy hooked up to all these different wires and tubes!!

Mom and Dad brought this giant Mickey balloon and Avery had a ball playing with it!!

Getting her ready to meet the real thing when we go to Disney in October!

Sandra and Cliff took her shopping so that she could give Paul an early Father's Day present.

Avery was spoiled rotten during this time. She spent time both sets of grandparents as well as one night with Chris and Danette. I would like to think she missed us but she was probably having too much fun to even realize we were not there.

We are all back home now and even though we were never able to pinpoint an exact cause of all this I am feeling much better. The doctor's words were "there are alot of abnormalities but they don't add up together for one specific diagnosis. I just can't put you in common category"......well thanks doc, I could have told you that 5 days and several thousand $$$$ ago.

Thanks for all the calls, good wishes, prayers, and visits from those of you who knew what was going on. Hopefully it was a one time thing and I am on the mend!!!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin ~ OMG what a week to be so weak (Sorry... I couldn't resist). Take your vitamins and drink you gatorade and be well. I will keep you in my prayers for 100% return to health. God bless you. Lisa A from Gibbstown, NJ

Anonymous said...

Wow, now that's a rotten week. I hope you are feeling better soon. ((HUGS))

~M

Rachel said...

Wow Robin - I'm glad you're ok. How scary to not know what was going on. I hope you continue to be healthy!

Avery is a doll! I'm so glad things are going well with her.

The Fab 5 said...

So sad to read about your week. I am glad you are home and feeling better. I have read your blog for since your referral. Your family is precious.

Anonymous said...

Yikes!! I haven't checked in on the blog in awhile and what a week you have had. I am so sorry!!!!

Next time you are better and on your way to or from work, let's meet...I live a few miles N of the hospital.

Beth

Eloise said...

Yikes, Robin! I'm so sorry to hear you've been so sick. I'm glad you trusted your instincts and checked yourself in to the hospital. Hopefully you're on the path to full recovery now.

I took your advice and bought a Wii Fit for my husband for Father's Day. My kids are chomping at the bit to give it to him now! Can't wait to try it out.

Hugs to all. Stay well.

Duchess of Lanier said...

OH, Dear! You are so smart to insist on your evaluations. Whatever the cause, so glad the week is over and you are feeling so much better. Hugs and hugs, Trena

Kayce said...

So glad you are okay...get better!

HUGS!

Kim said...

Glad you are feeling better...
Can't believe you were in the hospital all week..
HUGS to you...
Get rested..

JoAnn in NJ said...

Glad you're feeling better and you have such a wonderful set of family and friends who take good care of you!

BTW, I can't help noticing that you look thinner in those hospital photos...being a new Mom is a good way to drop some LBS! :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers