July 19, 2006

My wonderful yet horrible dad.....

I had an awesome surprise from my dad today. It’s a great story but I have to give you some background first:

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are having a concert near us this coming Friday night. I love both these singers as do my mom and Paul. The three of us had talked about going to the concert several months ago but the tickets were already sold out. We have been watching ebay and other ticket brokers but have not seen any good seats that were within our price range. It complicated the matter even more because most seats we found were either in groups of 2 or 4 and we only needed 3. We asked my dad if he would be interested in going and he said "oh, it doesn’t matter". Well, my mom did not want to pay that kind of money for a response of "it doesn’t matter". This past Sunday night my mom and I made one last attempt at looking for tickets but with the concert less than a week away the prices were outrageous unless you wanted to be in the nose-bleed section. We finally decided that Tim and Faith would just have to perform without us.

Now on to the story:

Tonight as I was leaving for work my dad called and asked me to stop by his house on my way out. When I arrived he asked me to hand him an envelope that was lying on the counter. When I gave it to him to said to me "Since your birthday is coming up I wanted to get you a special present but there’s a catch." He then handed me an envelope with 2 tickets for the concert in it. He went on to explain that he was only able to obtain 2 tickets and it was my decision who to take. I went from elated to nauseous in 1 second. Who do I take? My mom, who is my best friend, and the ultimate country music fan or my husband who had voiced the desire to go from the beginning? I knew whichever one did not get to go would be disappointed. My dad told me that he knew it put me in a tough spot but it was ultimately my decision. I went back and forth in turmoil. My dad finally told me to go ahead and take Paul and that he would break the news to my mom. I told him I could not do that and I would have to tell her myself. About that time she arrived home from work. She came in to the living room and sat down. My stomach was in knots and I was so worried about disappointing her. I simply told her "Dad has put me in an awkward position" I then explained that he had given me 2 tickets for the concert and that I had to decide who to take. She immediately told me "I would never ask you to choose me over Paul". I repeatedly asked her if she was sure and she assured me that it was okay. My dad finally spoke up and said "she won’t be too disappointed because she can go with me"

WHAT?????? Are you freakin’ kidding me??? You have 4 tickets????

All along my dad had 2 other tickets that he neglected to tell me about. He decided to pull the ultimate prank. After I recovered from the shock and my nerves calmed down I was estatic but I still could have rung his neck!!!

So this Friday (my birthday weekend) Paul, my mom, my dad, and I will be enjoying the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill concert. Love ya dad (even if I could kill you sometimes)!!!!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

You have to be cruel to be kind apparently. He sounds mischiveous, I like that! Your birthday is a week after me! I didn't know you were a cancer baby! (I think that is still cancer...or LEO). Either way it sounds like loads of fun.

Elle said...

What a stinker!! I bet the concert is going to be awesome.

Erin said...

I'm soooooo jealous! I would LOVE to go to that concert. They are just so romantic. Have fun!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers