February 10, 2008

What a whirlwind week!!!!

Since there was SO MUCH stuff that went on this week that I will have to break it down for you day by day. So sit back, relax, and relive the last week with us:

MONDAY - THE DAY!!!! We were pretty sure this would be the day that we would recieve our referral call. The morning started out by dragging by very slowly. At 12:31 we recieved the infamous email from GWCA stating "if you received this email we have your referral". When I read that I immediately got very emotional. Paul and just looked at each other and said "this is really happening?!?" At 12:37 the phone rang and the caller id indicated it was "THE CALL". I didn't even say hello, I answered by saying "Is this it?" I think I shocked the caller but she quickly replied "yes, this is it" I asked her to hold on while Paul joined me at the table and turned on the video camera on his way over. I then put her on speaker and Paul and I both heard all the information about our daughter together. The actual call probably lasted 10 minutes but I can't even tell you half of what was said. After we hung up with our agency and had a few moments to ourselves the marathon of phone calls began. We spent the next hour on the phone relaying the information to those near and dear to us (as well as updating the blog). We then had to wait an excrutiating 3 hours before Avery's pictures popped up in our email inbox. I think if I would have hit refresh or check mail one more time the computer would have spontaneously combusted.

We had an impromptu referral celebration at our house including my parents, Chris, Danette, Kelby, Kolin, my aunt Kathy, her husband Bill. They brought over a cake, balloons, a huge bear for Avery and we all just sat around talking about this long awaited event, not to mention printing out tons of pictures. We all then went out to a celebration dinner still reeling from the excitement.


Proud Mommy and Daddy with our celebration cake!! You have to excuse my appearance, I think I was pulling my hair out the whole time we were waiting for pictures!

Our first "family" portrait!

Kelby and Kolin can't wait for their cousin to arrive!!

Okay everyone, hold up a picture and smile!!

After our dinner Paul and I returned home and immediately got to work on our referral announcements. They went in the mailbox that night!!

TUESDAY - We both went to work carrying pictures of our daughter and showing them to everyone we saw.

WEDNESDAY - The infamous trip to the Fedex office to pick up the official paperwork. We came home and combed through the information still not quite believing this was actually happening. We both worked again that night and we both still carried and proudly displayed our pictures!!

THURSDAY - This is the day we signed the acceptance letters and sent them back to our agency!! Yes, we want this precious little jewel to be our daughter!!!

FRIDAY - Our accpetance left Texas and is officially on it's way to China. Paul's parents came over for another celebratory dinner. Even though we had spoken to them many times this week and they had received the pictures by email this was the first time we had seen them since referral. After dinner Sandra and I went through Avery's closet to pick out the clothes we would be taking on our trip. It was kind of weird cutting all the tags off these new clothes we had been collecting. I washed my first load of infant clothes and bought my first container of Dreft detergent. Oh the joys of motherhood!!

Cliff and Sandra proudly show off the picture of their first grandchild!!

SATURDAY - We went to our first Chinese New Year celebration. We joined Kelley and Erin's families and had a wonderful time. We can't wait to share these traditions with Avery. There were tons of crafts for the kids to make, a collection of Asian Art on display, as well as various demonstrations of Chinese traditions. We also saw our first Lion Dance and Dragon Parade. It was a great day that we ended with a fabulous Chinese meal complete with Avery's picture in the center of the table.

Emily, Mollianne, and Mia posing with Avery's picture. Proof that you can't get 3 little girls to look in the same direction at the same time and smile!

The red lion who Mia said was her favorite!!

The white lion. It was amazing to see the detail of movements of these characters.

The dragon leading the parade!!

I had no idea of the coordination and teamwork a dragon parade required.

SUNDAY - We started our morning at church, thanking God for the wonderful blessing we receive this week. After we got home it was time to get busy!!

I put Avery's care package together and it will be going out in the mail this week. We have been told by various people to not go overboard with the care package since there is a chance Avery won't receive it. So we just included a few things for her and some treats for the orphanage workers.

The contents of her care package. I was not sure if labeling the camera and photo album were necessary but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Labeled and ready to go!!!

For those of you that don't know we will also be accompanied on our trip to China by my mom and her sister (my Aunt Kathy). We are so excited for them to be making the trip with us and I know they are very excited to go!! I have been working on T-shirts for us all to wear on the plane to China. I finally got them finished today and I love the end product....


So if you happen to see us on our travels be sure and say Hi!!

That wraps up our week. Hopefully the next few will fly by so that we can finally hold our daughter in our arms!!!

4 comments:

Erin said...

OMG, those shirts are priceless! You know I will be hiring you to do shirts for me, Bob and Mollianne when we go to China. So start planning! :-) Like you don't have anything else to do.

We love you and can't even begin to tell you how happy we are for you. BTW, you guys are PARENTS!

Anonymous said...

Now that is the way to make the wait fly by...fill every moment with something fun and entertaining.

I love your shirts.

It is still so surreal...but soon you'll be back and your new noral will begin.

Love V

Kim said...

WOW...
You have been really busy...
Love the pictures...
AND you did a WONDERFUL job on the t-shirts..
Can't wait to see her in your arms...

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Congrats on your referral! Found you on the rumor queen. Your daughter is gorgeous. I love reading about your referral and hope to follow your journey to china. Referral news always makes me emotional, thinking back on my own, but I didn't actually cry til I saw these damn shirts. THEY'RE WONDERFUL! Looks like your daughter, too, has been blessed with a loving, fun, and creative family.

Kind regards from Miami,

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers