March 26, 2008

Another day of firsts......

Today we did not have anything official planned so our group headed out to a local park. It was a wonderful morning. We loved being out in the open away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The pictures can probably tell a better story of our day than I can so I will let them do the talking.

We decided to skip the breakfast buffet at the hotel and headed over to McDonald's.

Avery first time in a high chair. By the way, she was wearing the carrier that's why she looks like there is something around her.

First time in the carrier. Someone had asked the comment "Does she smile all the time?"

Here's the proof: she definitely does have her moments!!! She did not like the carrier. Yes we tried both facing in and out and she was having neither one!

For some reason she always raises her arms up and keeps her legs out. We think it is because of the many layers they wear in the orphanage. Not alot of leeway for movement.

Mommy and Daddy mimicking the "arm up" pose!

A family portrait at the park:

The detail in the topiary was amazing.

I was a little adventurous with a snack (aren't you proud Kelley?)

However, I DO NOT recommend the green pea popsicle. Nasty!!!!

Posing in some flowers blooming in the park

Getting Avery's attention was a little hard. She was busy taking in all the sights around us!

First slide with Daddy:

The slides here are all concrete.

First amusement park ride:

Avery got to ride with Sidney (our travel companion's daughter). She seemed to enjoy this!

Right next to all the kiddie rides was an adult exercise area:

China's version of the Gazelle exercise machine.

There were also some huge balls that you would get in and then they would inflate and then send you out into a pond. I thoughts this was too cool but decided against trying it out myself.

This photo is of all the Downing kids enjoying the balls. I couldn't talk Paul into trying it out either.

There was also a bird sanctuary that we explored.

Avery slept through all this but we enjoyed the beautiful blue peacocks.

Another adult exercise area:

Maybe we need these over in Texas.

Once again Little Miss Avery was the recipient of gifts.

Grandma bought her this gorgeous hand-painted umbrella.



Our 3 generation picture:


Her personality really came out this afternoon. She was smiling, laughing, and imitating all of us.

Thanks so much for all the comments everyone is leaving. We are enjoying reading all them and so happy that so many people are thinking of us and following along on our trip. Keep 'em coming!!!!

17 comments:

Kelley said...

A pea green popsicle is not what I had in mind when I encouraged you to each Chinese food! Crazy girl!

Love you!
K.

Stacey said...

Looks like lots of fun where you are. Glad to see you having a wonderful time and I love Avery's Purple shirt how cool is that!

Anonymous said...

I glad she is having fun! More to come Avery it is only begun. She is going to love Disney.

Love ya!
T

Erin said...

Well, Kelley might not be impressed but I am! However, I don't think I will try a pea green popsicle! We miss you and can't wait until you come home!

Avery is gorgeous and you both look so happy. And girl, you are melting away! You look fabulous.

Love you all! E

Anonymous said...

OK, so maybe she doesn't smile ALL the time (LOL @ the mad kid in the carrier) but she does seem like a sweet, content little baby.

Green pea popsicles... gross!

The topiary is amazing!

Anonymous said...

PRICELESS! Great post!

Good for you for trying something way out of normal-- for anyone for that matter! Yuck. Nasty is actually what I thought first. :-)

If Avery doesn't like the front carrier, do they sell hip hammocks in China? They are made by Playtex now and it was easier for us and didn't kill my back. And that way I actually was able to walk around with her.

BTW---How was her first bath?


XOXO-
B

Christie said...

She cries? What? Stop! Unless I had seen the picture I would not have believed it!

It's so great to see you all outside enjoying the day and each other. I love reading your posts - I freely admit I check for updates several times a day...

Can't wait until next week when it's Avery Day again!

Love you

Valerie said...

You'll eat a pea popsicle, but you won't try your steak Medium????

Love the pictures....glad to see she is multi faceted in her personality, wouldn't want a stepford child.

You look like you've been a family forever.

Counting the days until next week.

Love V

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Congrats!! You all look like you're having a blast. The smiles say that China has once again worked their magic and made a perfect match. Thank you for allowing us to follow along and share in your joy.

Good luck and safe journeys,

Carol and Taylor in Miami

Brenda Pickle said...

Hi! I bet your suprised to here from me. Avery is beautiful, and ya'll make a beautiful family.

Love you very much!

Brenda

Anonymous said...

Okay- have you lost your mind- i love food and will try just about anything, but i am NOT eating a green pea popsicle.(Dont worry you will have some comfort foods waiting for you when you get home.) Looks like ya'll had a fun day at the park. Baleigh said "tell robyn I would have ridden the in the balls with her."- shanna

Jamie said...

Okay...I would try a pea popsicle just to say I did. I am proud of you! And I have to say, I wouldn't get in that inflatable ball either and I consider myself adventurous. She is adorable and looks like you might have to sell the carrier on ebay :)! Love the generation picture. Wow, one more week and you will be home with her
!
Love,
Jamie

Melissa said...

I'm sooo excited for ya'll. Avery is precious. Can't wait to meet her. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

I just finished having the best teary-eyed time looking at all the posts and all the beautiful pictures of little Avery. I'm so happy for y'all!

And I adore green TEA ice cream, but green pea popsicles...that's beyond even my taste buds!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and thanks for letting me come along too! I adopted from Xuzhou two years ago tomorrow and it's great to live it over again a bit in your pictures. She's a beautiful girl and you look so happy together. It's so amazing how the children are matched to just the right families! Just a little clarification as I think something got lost in the translations for you. The lady who gave you your daughter is Ms. Tang, who is the assistant director of the orphanage and who wrote up all the paperwork to prepare her for adoption. She is amazing. She will be so glad that you keep in touch. She cried when she gave me my daughter as well. She cares so much for the children there. Congratulations on your wonderful adoption. Have a safe and uneventful trip home!!! Sarah from Ottawa, mom to Xu YaTing (Elinor Rose)

Diana said...

Her shirt should say "Nobody puts Baby in the carrier"!
Congratulations..Avery is ADORBALE!!

Anonymous said...

Please tell Kathy that we are missing her at work. I enjoy reading this every day and the pictures are great. Congratulations! Diane

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers