March 19, 2008

We're Here!!!!!!!

A recap of our day:

We left our house Tuesday morning at 3:15am. I think between the 4 of us we only slept a couple hours each last night. We arrived at the airport before the check-in counter even opened. I told mom that it was just like “The Amazing Race” (we both love that show) where the contestants always seem to be waiting at airports. We soon boarded our plane for Chicago. Because of bad weather this was not exactly an easy flight. We hit massive amounts of turbulence!!!!STOP READING ERIN!!!! The kind where your behind is not even touching your seat. We were bouncing around just like a Six Flags ride. The poor flight attendant who was trying to serve coffee when all this started wound up crawling on her hands and knees to try to get back to her seat. She finally gave up and sat in the floor between Kathy and me and we each had a hand on her to hold her down. After that little adventure it was pretty smooth sailing. We arrived at O’Hare found our terminal and gate and then had about 2 hours before we boarded the next flight. We grabbed a snack, did some people watching, and actually met up with another adoptive couple from our agency, Joe and Angela, we visited with them a little and then it was time to board. We everyone finally got situated the pilot made an announcement that there was a problem with our air conditioning and maintenance was on the way to fix it, they estimated repair time was 15-20 minutes. Well, after waiting about 30 they made another announcement that the air was fix but evidently we burned too much fuel waiting for maintenance that now we still couldn’t take off because we had to refuel. So that took another 30 minutes!! Finally we were off and only 1 hour late. After that little episode this flight has been uneventful but long…..and I mean long!!!! We have each slept a little, read a little, watched a little tv, played some games, pretty much anything to make the time pass. As I write this we have been on this plane for 9.5 hours (including the hour for repairs and refuel) and we have about 5 more to go before we land in Beijing.


I started typing this post on the plane but am finishing it up here in the hotel. We made it, we are checked in, we have already exchanged some money, and went to the Wu-Mart to get some water and tea. That and the ride to the hotel were adventures in itself. We are exhausted and all fixing to turn in for the night to get some rest. I will post again in the morning and include the travel pictures.





8 comments:

Kelley said...

So happy to know that y'all have arrived safely! I spent yesterday checking the status of your flight and praying. Here's to a good night's sleep!

Love you!
K.

Anonymous said...

So glad to read you made it, in spite of the weather!

Keeping y'all lifted in prayer.

Have a fun time touring and getting over your jet lag.

XOXO-
Beth

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't believe that is how The Kimberlins Excellent Adventure started out. I am cringing just thinking about it.

You are so lucky your groups personality is a roll witht he punches it's all good type vs. my
WTF I want to talk to someone in carge now type.

So glad you are on the same land as Avery and are only days away from her.

Love V

Erin said...

Should have stopped reading when you warned me. I think I had a little mini panic attack just reading it! I am so glad that you are there, safe and sound. And that you got out of here before the heavens opened. We miss you and love you to pieces!

Anonymous said...

I BET MY GRANDMA WAS FREAKING OUT. WAY TO GO ROBYN.

Mya said...

Glad you made it safe and sound except for the turbulence. I can't wait for your next blog entries! Hope you all getting some rest. enjoy Beijing.

Stacey said...

Glad to see you made it safely. I admit I was thinking about you off and on through out the day and I did not envy you the flight, but I sure would love to be back in China. I am so excited for you guys... enjoy your last few days as just a couple and sleep well!

Kim said...

Glad you have arrived safe....
WHAT a ride...
I am catching up.. sorry..
Be Safe...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers