March 28, 2008

A mellow day in China....

This morning we ventured out to what we thought was a local temple, but actually it was a shopping district with a few temple gardens. Mom called it China's version of Canton (for all you Texas folks). We had a good time browsing around and picked up a few good deals. After our little shopping expedition we came back to the hotel to hang out and started packing to leave Nanjing tomorrow morning. We are going out to a group dinner tonight for Korean BBQ and to celebrate Piper's Birthday. She will turn 5 on March 30th and everyone wanted our guide Grace to be able to celebrate with us.

Since there has not been a whole lot go on today I will do a little Avery Q&A. I have received several comments and emails asking questions about her so I will try to get to all of them in this forum:

Before we begin let me show you how adorable she looks today!
Yes, baby girl, you were definitely worth the wait!!!

How are you and Paul adjusting to being parents?Well, we definitely still fall under the "learning curve" but we think we have done pretty good so far. We have had her for 4 1/2 days and we haven't broken her yet!! Incidentally I was thinking about significant dates today just realized that Paul and I met on March 24, 1989. Avery day was March 24, 2008. Exactly 19 years after the day we met we became parents!!!


How many layers was Avery wearing on Gotcha Day?These are the clothes we took off of her shortly after we got back to the hotel. She had 2 pairs of pants, a shirt, a sweater, a jacket, and socks and shoes. The inner layer of pants are split pants and the outer pants were meant to be but had obviously been sewn shut.

Have you purchased any traditional Chinese dresses yet?As a matter of fact she has 3 so far. We are buying in a variety of sizes so that she can grown into them. We plan on doing alot more shopping in Guangzhou when we are not so restricted on our luggage.

What size is Avery wearing?
She fits perfectly into a 9 month but we don't think it will last very long. We brought a variety of 9 and 12 month sizes with us and the 12 months are just a tad big.

What is Avery eating?
The orphanage director told us she took 6 bottles a day with formula and rice cereal as well as steamed eggs. Well, let me tell you: this girl will eat!! So far we have given her small amounts of scrambled and poached eggs, noodles, rice, ice cream, baby food, bananas, yogurt, and cheerios. The yogurt and cheerios are the only things that she has rejected so far.

Is she a good sleeper?
She is....she continues to sleep with her arms up and her legs out like this. We still believe it is because she is used to being in so many layers that she doesn't realize she can freely move.

Did you really buy her Crocs?
We sure did!! Paul and I both love our Croc shoes and when we saw a Croc store here in China we had to check it out. Daddy bought Avery and Mommy matching Mickey Mouse crocs and Aunt Kathy bought Avery the purple pair. Right now both pairs are a little big but she will grow into them before we know it.

Are mealtimes different now?
That's a definite yes. I can now hold Avery and feed her with one hand and eat with chopsticks with the other. Fortunately Paul eats fast so he relieves me pretty quickly. Oh the joys of motherhood!!

That's about it for today. We leave the hotel at 8:15 tomorrow morning to travel to our final destination in China. There we will complete the American portion of the adoption and then we can head home!!!

Thanks for checking in on us!!!!

9 comments:

Kelley said...

Look at you with the chopsticks...and feeding Avery at the same time. You're looking like a pro, girl!

Emily and Mia are counting down the days until "we'll see you at the airport!"

Love you tons!
K.

Anonymous said...

I got your blog from a friend who is logged in 8/06. I have been following your adoption. We adopted last September. I sit here every morning and check in on your blog. I feel guilty enjoying your adventure and not telling you. You are such a neat couple. Avery is so blessed to have been matched with you. I love your sense of humor, that is exactly what a mommy needs!!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of Avery with us. She is beautiful. I had to laugh I think every adoptive parent purchased the "worth the wait" shirt!! Have safe travels and you will soon be home!

liasmomma said...

I'm a fellow GWCA adopter who is logged in for baby #2 on 1/23/06. Another GWCA person passed along your blog site and I've been following along with your journey. Congrats on your daughter! She is lovely!!! Can you e-mail me and tell me where you got the t-shirt that said, "I was worth the wait". I really want one! And my sister and her husband are logged in on the same day as us for baby #1 so I want to get one for her too. Enjoy Guangzhou - it's a GREAT place for shopping. Be sure to bring home lots of squeaky shoes. They are like $5 a pair for leather shoes. I brought home 20 pairs on our first trip in all diff. sizes.

Trish

Anonymous said...

Hi, we have enjoyed every step of your trip through China. Avery is just precious and appears to be a very happy little girl. She is just beautiful. So, how many pieces of luggage do you think you'll have to buy to pack up all your purchases? I'm sure your families just can't wait to meet that little China Doll.
Love from E & M's Grammy & Pop Pop

Anonymous said...

Chopsticks, eh? Had you practiced that before you went? I'm thinking that I might fail at chopstick use. (: We have the same little hot pink "I was worth the wait" onesie. My mom bought it for Kate on a shopping trip last fall. Love it. If you see a bunch of Michigan people checking out your site, it is our friends and family following along, you have a huge fan group here. We are all thoroughly enjoying the details you share. Blessings!! Karin GW 1-23-06 **The little dresses & crocs are adorable!! Ü

Anonymous said...

My heart just melts reading about your time in China. What a dream come true for you.

Can't wait to read about her first airplane ride.

Have a safe trip to Guangzhou!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Thought the eating picture was particularly attractive:]] May need to post it in the break room!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE reading your blog. My husband and I are LID July 9, 2007.
We live in the DFW area. Your friend Erin actually was the person who presented a workshop about China adoption with Great Wall.
We've got a long wait ahead but I am enjoying living through your journey and experience. Please continue the blog. You do an awesome job and I look forward to reading it daily! Avery is adorable!

Anonymous said...

hey girl(s) and Paul,
Love the pictures! she is so darn cute... she looks so happy- i think she is loving her new Mommy and Daddy. Have a safe trip home - cant wait to see yall. - shanna

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers