March 27, 2008

Now we know how celebrities must feel....

Today we ventured out to the Nanjing City Museum. What started out as a nice easy-going museum visit soon turned to chaos! All of the sudden our group WAS the exhibit. We went through the first few exhibition halls admiring the jade statues, intricate carvings, etc. After we had been at the museum about 30 minutes a ton of school kids showed up (probably over 100 in all) and they surrounded us!! They wanted to practice their English, they wanted to take our pictures, they wanted to take pictures with us, they wanted to just listen to us talk, they followed us everywhere!! I have to admit at first it was kind of cute but after we had a hard time even moving (much less looking at the exhibits) it became kind of annoying. Believe me when I say it was CHAOS!!! They were all really nice mannered but I guess I never realized how excited they would be to see Americans. After we figured out that this was not going to get better we wound up leaving. Some of the students even followed us to our bus. We didn't get many good pictures of the experience but believe me none of us will need to see pictures to remember it.


Piper was in her element. She had a whole group of kids mesmerized under a staircase speaking Mandarin to them.

The Downing's take a family portrait with one of the students. If you look closely in the background you can see several of the students surrounding them. At one point Paul had a camera about 3 inches from his face! We are used to getting stares when we walk down the street but not this!


The kids following us to the bus!

After we returned to the hotel and recovered from our paparazzi experience we headed out to lunch. We all felt like we needed some "comfort food" so we went to "Tacos World Cuisine" located across the street from our hotel. Their specialty: Mexican Food. Yes, we found Mexican food in China!!!!!!!

Fajitas, tacos, Margaritas.....they had it all!

Kathy, Mary, and I all chose the chicken fajitas. They were delicious!!!!

After lunch Paul, Mom, Avery, and I headed out to do some exploring. We wound up at a local department store and decided to check it out:

Leave it to us to find the Clearance racks in any language!!!

A funny story from today: I have become quite proficient in gesturing to communicate. At one particular store I was trying to gesture to ask the sales girls a question and after I was done (in which I thought I had done a fabulous job) she looked at me and in the clearest English you have ever heard said "WHAT??" Paul and mom said the look on my face was priceless. Needless to say she was able to help us out and I didn't have to gesture with her.

Now on to the real reason you checked the blog today: Avery pictures!!! We have seen so many changes in her in just the last 2 days. When we brought her back to the hotel Monday afternoon she would/could not sit up unassisted, roll over, or support her weight on her legs. I am so happy to say that she is now sitting up for several seconds at a time on her own, she is rolling from front to back, and she LOVES to stand (with support) and bounce herself up and down. We are amazed in the changes in her in this short period of time.

How could we not love this face????
We received her notarized documents today. We will receive her passport tomorrow and then Saturday morning we are traveling to Guangzhou to complete the American portion of the adoption.

THANKS FOR CHECKING IN!!!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this brings back so many memories!! I'm all teary eyed.

Avery is so precious and beautiful. She could not be blessed with a better mommy and daddy, grandmother, grandfather and cousins.

Enjoy being the center of attention, you deserve it!!

XOXO-
Beth

Christie said...

Robyn, she's so sweet! Every time I see those cute little smiley pictures, it makes me smile from ear to ear for you! One week left before M3 Avery Day! I can't WAIT to see that baby in the flesh and give her some serious Auntie Lovin'

Love you - you mega star! Jeesh...am I going to see you guys on the cover of the province newspaper? "The ever elusive American family was spotted at the museum today, News at 11!"

Anonymous said...

Can I have your autograph?

I can see wher that would go from fun to annoying real quick.

Don't they see Americans on TV?

Love the photos of Avery....she seems so good natured.

Last leg of the journey is getting close; I hope you are remembering everything for my crash course on China Travel.

Love V

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby! She is so tiny. She must only be 8 months not almost 11. What size is she wearing?
Enjoy every moment of this incredible journey. I have been where you are twice and would go again in a heartbeat if they allowed singles to continue to adopt.
Blessings,
Debra
Mama to Prudence and PeiLi

Anonymous said...

O! Your pics today made me cry. She is just so sweet! Watching your family come together has been amazing. Thankyou for sharing. Karin

Anonymous said...

That is funny the lady can speak English the whole time! Love the pictures keep them coming! What size is Avery wearing? She has changed in the past two days. I can't wait!!!

Love ya!
T

DonnaWo said...

Congratulations cousins, she is so precious!!! Hugs, Stan and Donna

Anonymous said...

Ok - you crack me up. I was reading your blog and thought for a minute - WHERE IS AVERY? 2 days and look at the progress - you guys were just what she needed! She gets cuter everyday. Did you tell those kids you don't speak real English - you speak Texan?!
Keep having fun!
Teresa

Trena Wines said...

Robyn and Paul,
I finally created a blog so I can comment. I had been trying to email you but it hasn't went through. Avery is so beautiful and syweet. I am so excited for you all. I have been following your blog daily and enjoying. My sister in law Christy is also enjoying as well as my family. This is such a great tool. I know you must feel on top of the world right now. I can't wait to see Avery in person. Have a great time see you soon. Everyone at work has been asking how you are doing. We can't get access to the blog at work. I will have to bring my laptop. Love Trena

Jodi said...

What an adventure!
So glad to hear y'all are doing well! Hope everyone is staying healthy!
Will continue praying for y'all!
Jodi Sue

Kelley said...

It is amazing how much the Chinese especially students want to soak up English language and American culture. I wonder what stories Piper was telling the students about the crazy Americans?!

And of course, Avery is absolutely ADORABLE! I can't wait to meet her!

Thanks for the surprise call last night...it was so great to chat with you!

Love you!
K.

Mya said...

Glad your having a great time site seeing but I'd admit, I check in to see Avery! She is such a beautifull baby! Those little legs...love em! Avery will catch up in so many ways in just the first few weeks you are home. When we got Karlee, all she could do is sit up, no rolling over and she'd scream if we put her on her tummy! It was not long at all and she was standing and crawling and then walking right on target! They are the most amazing little ones! Thanks for keeping us posted on your adventures you crack me up!

Anonymous said...

I have been following your journey since before you received Avery's referral...she is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen! You all seem so happy and content. Congratulations. We are now is the paperchase mode so our gotcha day seems years away (literally!) Enjoy the blessings and safe travels.
Kelly in CT.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you guys!!! She is beautiful. I hope I have the honor of offically meeting Miss Avery on my next trip to Texas.

Krystal
from Nebraska

Anonymous said...

Baby Mo is showing me how to do this. I am smitten with Avery, I have to work Thursday night, but i am hoping to trade! But i will for sure be at the airport either way. My favorite picture is the one the first day you got Avery and you were holding her and your eyes were closed. Helen loved that one too! I look forward to seeing you soon!

Anonymous said...

Cutest. Baby. Ever.

She is just gorgeous!

Who knew you two were such celebrities? LOL

Anonymous said...

Robin,she is a beauty.Its a good thing she doesnt have Pauls chin,(all that facial hair,yuk).c u soon.Jim&Renee.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers